From 10th to 114th June 2023 I will be participating in the Language Documentation Summer School (LDSS 2023) at the L’Orientale University in Naples. I will be contributing the following course components:
1. What is linguistic fieldwork? Goals and outcomes
- what is fieldwork? why do we do it? where do we do it?
- defining description/documentation/revitalisation
- overview of types of approaches to fieldwork (library, office, mud hut, online, collaboration in cyberspace)
2. Fieldwork data and research methods
- what counts as data? ideologies versus performances, role of metadata
- overview of research methodology and methods
- elicitation, judgements, experiments, narratives, conversations, participant observations
- corpus management hints
3. Ethics and rights in field-based research
- ethics principles, informed consent
- legal frameworks, GDPR and other rules
- rights — copyright, moral rights, access and use licences
- relationships in the field and after, reciprocity
Early bird registration in the summer school is open until 15th June 2023, and regular registration until 30th June 2023.